Monday, December 10, 2012

Fake Flowers for a Dance Recital!

TODAY

The kids I work with are having a Dance Recital!



I was asked to make fake flowers with them so that they can throw the flowers out into the audience at the end of a dance routine.

So...

In order to find out how to go about making them I had to do some research. If you are a craft buff then you will find this research helpful, if you are looking for craft ideas.


My goal is to make light weight, easy to make step by step flowers either with tissue paper or duck tape.



First, duck tape roses:

                                              (Photo From:  http://www.duckbrand.com)

Step by step - how to make petals and wrap them around a stem. For the stem this website used a straw and wrapped some green duck tape around the straw...brilliant! That solves the light weight riddle for me.

http://www.duckbrand.com/Home/Duck%20Tape%20Club/ducktivities/flowers-and-roses/How%20to%20Make%20a%20Duck%20Tape%20Rose.aspx


But...I am still curious about tissue paper flowers....so lets see what I found:



Note: I like really simple steps...laid out with pictures of course! I am very picture oriented, and I feel like a good instruction includes images. Videos are also pretty awesome references! (video below)


                                                                      (Photo Courtesy of http://crafts.kaboose.com/flower2.html)
Tissue Paper Flowers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXNeVq2RxFU

For this Project.. I CHOOSE TISSUE PAPER! :)

The tissue paper is perfect for throwing (it will not scratch or injure anyone in the audience because they are planning to throw the flowers individually.) Tissue paper is also just what I have in the closet and is perfect for making flowers fast and in different colors.

(I will use the duck tape roses for another project later for another lesson.)

The website uses string...however...for my project
Instead of using string, I will use pipe cleaners for the stems, since I have a brand new package of pipe cleaners at work! ALSO: since my goal is to make two bouquets of flowers, just like you get a bouquet wrapped at the grocery store, I will have students decorate two plain sheets of white tissue paper and help them wrap the paper flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment